Mosna Eco Museum Tour
Traditional Saxon Houses:
No 447 is the former communal Kindergarten (dated 1887) located in the centre of the village where it is also proposed to house the Tourist Information Office and a museum of local handicrafts. It is the property of the L Roth Mosna School and is being currently refurbished and renovated.
No 215. Parallel to the main lane, there runs an unusual lane displaying a line of the frontages of households not built according to a typically local architectural structure, since the dependencies are not found to the back but in front of the house. The soil configuration and underground water were the factors that were taken into account when building the house at the foot of the hill and the shed to the street. No 215 is an example of such an atypical house,dating from 1895 and previously dwelt in by a priest. The current owner, Romuls Popa , bought the house in 1990 from Hermann Schneider. He is a bee keeper and produces three types of honey: acacia honey, polyfloral and lime tree honey, and polyfloral honey.
No 206. The owners Romulus and Eugenias Diac bought the house from Hans Schneider. It was built in 1724. As in many other rural households, a smallholding providing food for personal consumption is attached to the house .From the croft behind the house there is a spectacular view of the fortified church. The evangelical parish house. As the church itself , the parish house is a remarkable Baroque-style piece of architecture built on an evolved plan and adorned with many embellishments. Unfortunately, many of them were destroyed but there is still some period furniture. The cellar is also worth seeing. The bust in front of the building is that of the great teacher Stefan Ludwig Roth who taught in Mosna during 1847-1849.
The Communal Flour Mill
There were once numerous mills, but in 1906 the first diesel engine mill, located in the heart of the village, was installed; in 1945,the "hammer mill" was built and is still functioning. In 1977, the water mill was demolished. This mill is a traditional one, electrically powered, provided with millstones that were imported from France. The mill is owned by the Town Hall of the Mosna Commune and is administered by Mihai Suciu. The typical one-room Saxon house was built on stone foundations and had a large vaulted cellar underneath. Some houses still have a door opening into the street which was originally used for selling wines. Another old local occupation is bee keeping. It was first mentioned in 1283. Honey was precious nourishment and beeswax was used, just as suet was, for lighting until not very long ago. The secondary occupations of the villagers included hunting (the area is a former royal hunting domain), fishing and harvesting medicinal plants or of plants processed to obtain natural colourings.
The Traditional Farmstead
The forms of the Mosna traditional household were consolidated sometime during the XVI-XVIIIth century in the Saxon community and during the XVIII-XIXth century in the Romanian community. The house is always located to the street, given the nature of the land-plot and a customary function of social intercourse. The 24 households with sheds to the street are an exception justified by the ground water running close to the surface.Near the house or opposite the house,there is the summer kitchen (Sommerkuche), a dependency outwith the polluting activities of the house and was also turned into living space for the elderly. The shed is traditionally laid transversally and is an imposing building, larger and higher than the house. The plot, separated from the yard, was divided into three parts: the human living space to the street ,the stables and chicken coops in a second yard (chicken's yard), and the croft, main source of vegetable and fruits for the family.
The Fortified Evangelical Church
Saint Mary's Church: a Gothic tripart basilica, was built in the end of the XIVth century. Andreas Lapicida of Sibiu supervised the renovation works of 1480-1486. It is an open-hall church showing three spaces separated by four pairs of pillars. To the South and North there are two unfinished pillars and on the axis of the western facade there is a massive bell tower with features resembling a barbican. The tower of the Evangelical Church holds a bell dating from the XVth century bearing the following inscription ' OREX GLORIE VEHI CUM PACE'. As the gallows bell, it tolled when someone was executed in the village.